Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Artisans Collective Gift Shop and a Quilt Show and Sale in August

It's been a busy week since I returned from my travels. I've been to the shop to volunteer/work and a few times to meet up with some of my quilty friends so I had the chance to take a few pics on several occasions. Here is what you see from the door of the Artisans Collective Gift Shop:



The shop is essentially one large room that you enter through the Port Hastings Museum. The museum is almost the first thing you see when you enter Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. You cross the Canso Causeway, enter the traffic circle, and the museum/shop is on the right as you go around the rotary towards Route 19.  

One of our key features is having a double bed which displays our quilts, changing every few days when a quilt sells or just because.





Our main attraction for quilt lovers is our wall of quilts. We have a corner set up with racks for the quilts. Again, the display changes when quilts are sold or when quilts are added. Our artisans are a busy group so new items are constantly being added to inventory. 





One of the walls holds the brightest quilts, some more modern than traditional. 


We have another corner near the front door which changes often as well! The wine glass quilt was so popular the first one sold immediately so the quilter brought in another! 






13 local artisans, a daughter and a few husbands contribute to the collective so there is quite a variety of items. 




If you plan to be in the area, please drop by. Send me an email at lcarruthers3atgmaildotcom and I'll try to be there when you come through.

When not at the shop, I did manage to find my sewing room. I was thrilled to be able to add the final maple leaf borders to this quilt.



This quilt was a joint effort by the St. Mark's Wednesday morning quilters. We made a variety of 6" finished maple leaf blocks, reds and earth tones, brought them in, and used a pattern called Autumn Jewels by Renee Peterson to arrange them. The pattern is in McCalls Quilting September/October 2010. 

We auditioned a few fabrics for the sashing and background and played around with the placement of the blocks.






My friend Barb sewed the centre and the first border together and I added the outer maple leaf border. It was so rewarding to hang the finished flimsy on the line!

This is a very special quilt that we made to use for the Quilt of Valour-Canada program. It will be hand-quilted this summer at the Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale that takes place at St. David's Historical United Church in Port Hastings, a few steps away from the Artisans Collective Gift Shop from August 10-16. Hours are 10-4 each day of the show. During the show, this quilt will be put on a quilt frame. Local quilters and visitors to the show will have the opportunity to quilt it and by the end of the week, we anticipate the quilt will be ready for its binding! Please mark the dates on your calendar and plan to come by. The show and sale starts on the 10th with drop off, set-up, and doors opening all that day! 

Its a great day for quilting!







17 comments:

  1. I am so glad that I got to visit the Artisans Collective Gift Shop - it's a lot like going to a quilt show with all of the gorgeous quilts (and beautiful other items). The maple leaf quilt is gorgeous; it will be a great QOV. Wish I could stop by in August and help with the hand stitching. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an eye catcher walk in the door goodness. Yes, it's like a quilt show, fabulous!! You are a little far to travel for me, but would love to add some stitches in that QOV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I was close enough to enjoy this in person. Looks like an incredible shop--lovely quilts! And I am a sucker for woodwork, too! My kind of place. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, what an amazing collection of beautiful quilts and other items for sale. If I get to Cape Breton this summer (no plans, but ya never know!) I'll be sure to stop in. How wonderful that you have this venue to showcase and sell some items! I will also add the show to the list on our Guild Blog as many people check the list for their summer travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited PEI and Cape Bretton in 1997 and stopping in and bring very impressed with the collection of works. It's nice to know it it continuing to do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many lovely quilts. There are so many talented quilters around Cape Breton. Love the QOV, it is going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing shop and so many beautiful quilts for sale. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! Tons of eye candy in this shop! Gorgeous quilts but my favourite is that one above the bed (third picture)...LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! Tons of eye candy in this shop! Gorgeous quilts but my favourite is that one above the bed (third picture)...LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to pop in and visit someday. It looks like an amazing shop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quilt you ladies all did. And for a wonderful cause that is close to my heart too. Wish I lived closer to you. I would love to visit your museum. Lots of beautiful quilts to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely visit to your shop last week. Hard to believe there are only 13 artisans behind all that lovely stitching. Sew much creativity. Love the Maple Leaf quilt..

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazingly beautiful place....loved seeing it. Thank you for sharing it. Your maple leaf quilt is beautiful too x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Lesley, the shop looks just lovely! I'm looking forward to popping in for a visit! The maple leaf quilt came out absolutely gorgeous! I will definitely need to sit for a few minutes to put a few stitches into it! XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is wonderful to see the many beautiful items in the shop. they are a very talented group.
    And the work on the maple leaf quilt is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a beautiful and amazing store! Lucky you to be able to spend some of your time around all that creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many beautiful quilts and wood work items in this shop, wish I could visit and touch everything! Is there a pattern for the wine glass quilt? I have never seen this design before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!