Sunday, August 21, 2016

A Busy Time at the Quilt Show


The Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale is now a not too distant memory. We closed the doors of the show at the end of the day on Tuesday after six full days of celebrating quilting. Hundreds of folks entered the church to look at the quilts, buy some quilts and smaller crafted items, be inspired, and enjoy Cape Breton oatcakes, biscuits and tea. 

We also had two quilts on frames so visitors were able to put their own stitches in the quilts. I couldn't resist taking a pic of hubby. He had brought me a coffee that day so I asked him to pose with the quilters for a pic. No, he is not a quilter, but he sure supports the quilting industry. Four ladies in the picture taught school with him so he stayed for tea, almost like hanging out with the staff at recess!


It was a very successful show for visitors, the quilters, crafters, and St. David's United Church. The 130-year old church will receive all the donations from the door and a percentage of each sale. 

I took dozens of pictures almost every day and posted them on Facebook. If you'd like to see the quilts, please visit the facebook pages HERE to see more. Our quilt show and sale always takes place somewhere around the 13th of August, the anniversary of the Canso Causeway. Maybe we'll see you next year?

I am still rewinding after the show so haven't done much in my sewing room. In fact, I took a quick trip to see my sewing machine doctor who helped me with the tension on my machine for FMQ. I have a couple of quilt tops waiting to be quilted so  I must get started. The first is my Super Nova Scotia quilt that you can read about HERE. All pinned and ready to go!


Although my sewing time has been limited lately, I did manage to finish another flannel quilt I will call  Hugs 2. I had so many HSTs already from Hugs (you can read about Hugs  HERE) so it was a no-brainer to make another! I have it laying out on the dining room table but I ran out of pins for basting. May have to look around to find more pins before supper so we can eat.

Thanks so much for visiting me today! It's a great day for quilting!


16 comments:

  1. I followed the show on FB - so many lovely quilts in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a successful show. Thats a great feeling when people take time out of their lives to come see what we do, heh?? Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful display! No wonder the show was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you share photos from this show each year, I find it such a touching display, draped over the pews as they are. Our local quilt show didn't happen this year, as they lost their venue at the high school, so my summer feels a little incomplete. I'm very curious to know what that quilt on the frame is telling us about trees! Perhaps you will get a picture of it to share when its complete. I can tell its a smile maker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a fabulous show! I am so in love with your Supernova Scotia blocks. My drawer full of Kaffe's are calling me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what looks like tartan wool blankets is someone weaving those for the show? Someday I will be able to visit during this time of year and see the wonderful show. Bucket list. Love your Supernova quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you all had a successful show. I love the photo of the quilts draped over the pews and of Dave 'quilting'! Of course, the Kaffe quilt has my heart beating faster - it's gorgeous! Hugs 2 is just as beautiful as Hugs. It's nice to here your tension problems have been solved. Happy quilting! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to hear the show went well and good to see you squeezing in a little more sewing time...hope you found those pins and were able to eat..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh...I heard a huge sigh of relief when you closed the doors on the last. Glad it was such a huge success. I'll have to plan my next trip to Nova Scotia around the quilt shows!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The show was the best yet! (😊At least for me!). Was the sewing machine Doctor able to fix your machine? XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to all on a great show. The church looks stunning in your photos. That is a big undertaking so I am pleased it was successful.
    Lovely to see you gradually getting back into your own sewing and good luck with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a wonderful show--glad to hear it was successful.
    Have been to a couple of local shows held in old churches and loved them, but they haven't held one for many years now.
    Great photo of hubby with the quilters.
    You have two lovelies ready for quilting. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love seeing the photos of the quilts in the church. The photo of the quilters is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pics of quilts were great. Loved seeing your hubby sitting at the quilt frame with the quilters. That flannel HST quilt is awesome. I would love having one like it to wrap up in on cold winter nights. I may just have to try my hand at a flannel quilt real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations for the event!! The church looks amazing...
    I love the Hugs 2 quilt... just simple but amazing...
    Big hugs and kisses my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was a fantastic show and it must be a great boost to the church . Love both quilts , you are amazing !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!