Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Having Quilty Fun

I've been retired for several years now, but each day still feels like a holiday.  Playing in my sewing room for a bit every day is my norm, with wonderful visits with family interspersed between appointments and working at the Artisans Collective Gift Shop. If you follow my blog, you may remember the Collective is a small group of friends who quilt and craft all winter and open a seasonal gift shop from June through October in the Port Hastings Museum Nova Scotia. 

I continually jump from project to project, depending on my mood and inspiration and the enjoyment never seems to fail. I may finish a UFO, or start a new project...every day is a mystery.  Recently I finished my Super Nova Scotia quilt, a cuddle quilt I started a year ago following a free quiltalong series that had been hosted by designer Lee Heinrich in 2011. She created the Supernova block and blogs at Freshly Pieced HERE. She has since changed her blog host and I wasn't able to find the directions with the pictures to link for you. If you are interested in the pattern, you may have to do some more searching of her blog or contact her directly. 



The quilt is primarily made from Kaffe Fasset fabrics that I had been saving for awhile.


I used an edge to edge loop de loop quilting pattern, bound it with a scrappy binding, and the 60" x 60" quilt is now a finish. You can read more about this quilt HERE.

Rolling this quilt top made it even more appealing to me. Doesn't take much space this way!





After playing with such bright colours, I decided to keep on the same wavelength and start another bright baby quilt. Remember my first baby whale quilt?  You can read about this pattern HERE. I knew I'd make another one of these. It's just so much fun to see each whale go from pieces of fabric to these little guys.  In a day, I can take a quilt from cutting fabrics to sandwiching it, so this one is now ready to quilt. I plan to stitch some wavy quilting from side to side like I did on the other. 


Today's goal is to finish quilting Hugs 2, my second flannel HST quilt made from leftover HSTs and a few stash flannels. I have it draped over my ironing board waiting for me.


Yesterday I quilted the grid pattern and today I will do the quilting on the diagonal. The colours are not as bright as the first two quilts, but those fabrics sure are cozy!

It's a great day for quilting!



19 comments:

  1. How come your posts are always so delightful to read? You've got the gift of gab and the talent of a skilled quilter! Super Nova Scotia is a real beauty, Lesley. Doesn't it feel wonderful to be able to finish your own quilts from beginning to end? We've come a long way, baby! Loving those whales! A quilt for the shop? XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely one and all. Such a nice visit to your blog today x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear about your days. At the moment I have to fit my quilting around work and looking after the family and home life so it can be hit and miss but I try to ensure I do some quilting at least once a month!!! Love the quilts, especially the whale one, need to add this to my list of quilts to do. Hugs, Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Nova Scotia is absolutely gorgeous and your Whale quilts are delightful! Hugs 2 looks very cuddly. So glad you are enjoying your retirement - it really is a good life! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy post, I could feel the joy you're experiencing in your life and your sewing. It IS a great day for sewing! Loved all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Kaffe quilt really glows, Lesley!
    And who wouldn't smile at those cute whales. So sweet. : )
    As I am typing this on a cool morning, that flannel cuddle quilt looks really inviting. I love quilts made solely from HSTs. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you're loving' life these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the Kaffe quilt!!! The whales are so sweet too and wonderful in those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes, retirement! Looks like you are spending your time well. I'm not typically a Kaffe fan, but I do like that quilt. and I love the HST quilt. I'm loving scrappy more and more since my scraps seems to multiply the more I use the. How does that happen??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! Your bright quilts are very cheerful and make me smile! But oh to snuggle and cuddle with the HST - delightful!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilts Lesley - nice to see the Whales make another appearance, and also to see your Supernova finished! Love the snuggly HST quilt too - you are getting a lot of mileage out of the flannel fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post Lesley and beautiful quilts to share as always. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bounce from project to project, too. I love being retired! Those whales are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a quilting machine , you can sure sew them up quickly . Beautiful work , especially love the whales , too cute .

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sound like me jumping from project to project. If I am having a bad time staying focused I turned the tv on....for some reason that keeps me focused. Love your quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so lovely to be retired and have time to play. Looks like you are having a lovely time! Great finish of your Super quilt. It does look colourful and happy. I think the whales are delightful. Definitely a productive day. And the flannel quilt has come up a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's nothing quite like retirement is there? Especially when you have a hobby as enriching as quilting with all the activities and friends that go along with it. Love that whale baby quilt! And it's just about time to start breaking out those flannel quilts again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow... you are really on a roll! Supernova looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!