Sunday, August 7, 2016

Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet on the Road

Yesterday was the day of our annual trek to Pictou, Nova Scotia, for the Northumberland Quilt Show. Our quartet includes Linda who blogs at Scrapmaster, Karen who blogs at KaHolly, Sheila who blogs at Sheila's Quilt World and myself. Unfortunately, Sheila wasn't able to join us...we missed her terribly! 


The four of us have decided to do a round robin quilt exchange, which will take about a year to complete. We each made a centre block, 12" finished, so a couple of blocks were exchanged yesterday. Here is the block I made and passed along to Karen for the next round.


You may recognize the embroidery centre of the block as I used the same Gail Pan pattern for the tote bag I made for Sheila and gifted to her last year. The quilt block pattern is called Souvenir which I found HERE. I thought it was such an appropriate name for my block, as the quilt, when finished, will be my souvenir of the Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet!  

Linda's stunning block came to me for the first round. Can't wait to play with this one, Linda!


The Northumberland Quilt show was wonderful. An amazing number of quilts showing a range of style and several vendors which made it very easy to add to my stash! I did take a few pics of some of my favorites so hope you enjoy.












Before we left, Linda and I posed with a couple of our latest quilts in front of the Pictou waterfront. Can you tell it was a little windy? Maybe even windier than you've seen in some of my clothesline pictures?


Today I am in my sewing room struggling with my sewing machine tension. The top stitching is wonderful but the stitches on the back are not the way they should be.  I have a few quilts to finish up before our quilt show on Thursday and my FMQ is just not working for me. Perhaps it has been too long between projects or perhaps it is an issue with my machine?  I vented to my resident FMQ expert, Linda, who gave me a few excellent suggestions so will try them out and hope for success. If not, I can certainly get them done with straight line stitching so will just have to weigh the pros and cons and see what happens. 

I did manage to finish my little hexie table runner!


Maybe I'll see some of you at our show? Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale in St. David's United Church, Port Hastings, Nova Scotia at the entrance to Cape Breton. Hours 10-4 each day. 


It's a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like another great time. So glad you didn't blow away in the wind. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great little stitchery for your center block, and a clever choice of block pattern.
    Linda's block is very eye catching.
    I see some really nice quilts in the show that I would like to make, but I know in reality I just need to admire them and move on. : )
    Looks like you had good hold on those quilts. Not the best kind of day for photographing things that float on a breeze.
    Your table runner worked up very pretty. Hope you can get those tension issues sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun that you gals can get together. I look forward to watching the Round Robins progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful albeit windy day! There were some beautiful quilts at the show. Your quartet round robin sounds like fun - can't wait to see how the quilts end up! I have considered making the block Linda made but would never have thought to use 'newsprint' fabric. Love your hexie table runner! I hope your machine has settled down; I know you are in a time crunch. Enjoy your quilt show - how I would love to stop by... ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the block you made for our round Robin! Oh the show looked like a great one but I suspect your show will be great too . Hope to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the block you made for our round Robin! Oh the show looked like a great one but I suspect your show will be great too . Hope to see you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great block for the center of your round robin. Lovely quilts. You ladies look like you had a wonderful time. Hope you get your tension issues fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilts..thanks for showing them. Machines can be quite frustrating at times...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely show and tell. Your quilt show poster is great! Is that your raffle quilt on display? Do you know the name of it and the designer or is it an original piece? I'm in love with all those flower blocks. Too bad I'm on the other side of the country or I'd come. Have a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was wonderful that you could get together and so much fun to be embarking on a Round Robin - what good looking centres you girls have made:-) It looks like an inspiring quiltshow, thanks for sharing the photos. Hope you can get your fmq issues sorted soon. OH and I love your hexie runner too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a great day to get together in Pictou! I hope you can get your quilts finished in time for the show/sale! So sorry your machine is acting up! Love how your hexie table runner came out, Lesley! It looks great! I have your oh, so pretty round robin block on display and will just keep looking at it until I know exactly what to do! I will see YOU on Wednesday! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh-Oh! Quilters on the Loose! I love your center block. I've been thinking an exchange like that would be such fun! Such a cute saying! I commented that I love that quilt show poster before and now I just realized it's from the Blackbird Designs Tulip Time series. I really have to track those down! I'm so in love with that farmhouse block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures from the show and I am so looking forward to seeing your round robin quilts. Pretty tablerunner. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great pictures. I love the black, white and red in the second picture. An awesome setting for swap blocks that aren't all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to pop in to see you and all those amazing quilts, but since I can't I'm grateful you share the beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely catch up. I like your idea of having a round robin with your friends. It will be interesting to send the final quilts.
    Thank you for sharing photos from the quilt show, too.
    And I do hope you have sorted out your tension problems.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing the quilt show here. I love going to virtual quilt shows!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing the quilt show here. I love going to virtual quilt shows!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!