Thursday, September 8, 2016

A Couple of Quilts for the IWK

As a member of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild (MMQG), I am so happy to be able to participate in the making of a couple of quilts for the annual charity quilt program. Every year the guild decides on a charitable cause to support and this year the guild chose the IWK, the children's hospital located in Halifax, NS.  We had the occasion to need the services of the IWK on one occasion many years ago as the children were growing up.  Although it is about a 3-hour drive, we always knew we were in the best of care when we got there. It is nice to be able to give back in a small way by making a couple of quilts.

The guild chose a square in a square pattern to make. Many members are making twin sized quilts, but as "The Cuddle Quilter", I wanted to keep the quilt cuddle size. Besides, I can't handle much larger in my domestic sewing machine and this way I was able to bring the quilt from start to finish all in my own sewing room. 

I finished one of the quilts yesterday. I kept this one fairly bright, using a variety of bold colours and prints.


The quilt finishes at 43" x 60" with 8.5" finished blocks. This one I quilted using a stitch in the ditch and a grid pattern. 


The second IWK quilt was started using the leftover blocks from the first quilt. I had made a variety of blocks and decided to keep all the brights for the first quilt and use more of the whites for the second quilt. This one is pinned and ready!


I plan to do FMQ on this second quilt if this heat wave ends soon. It is just too hot and humid today for me to sit with a quilt in my lap so I may have to wait a bit while the air conditioner does its work.

It's always a great day for quilting, 




17 comments:

  1. Lesley! Both awesome quilts! Such wonderful fabrics. I can't wait to see them in person. Cuddly perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both quilts and the boxed squares pattern makes for a good charity project - fast and works with almost any fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to support the IWK. Both the Mayflower Quilter's Guild and the Mahone Bay Quilter's Guild make preemie quilts for the IWK NICU. We have been doing this for the last 9 years and have donated over 700 quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good thing you are doing. Two very happy quilts to bring a bright spot to a hurting child's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley, your quilts are fabulous! I love them both. Your heart is fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Quilts Lesley! Thank you for taking your time and stash to contribute to this great cause. We are going to have so many great quilts to give!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous job Lesley, both quilts are just awesome and will be so loved . You are a very giving person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go, Lesley! They look funderful! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these quilts are cheery and will be loved! Every child admitted to the children's hospital 'near' us gets a quilt. Those quilts are cherished by the recipients. I'm glad you are able to help with such a great project. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, Lesley! I'm sure these quilts will be very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking great! Thanks for contributing. Look forward to seeing them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both are wonderful, but I love the colors in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty quilts and charity quilts are always so fulfilling to the soul of both the recipient, and the maker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are going to be great quilts to donate. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess we were at the same retreat at St. Ann college recently. I also bought the Christmas tree pattern from Bill Locke and have almost finished it . I took the thread painting class. It was a great retreat, I had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!