Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Quilting is Done

Recently, I put the pedal to the metal to finish quilting a few projects that I have blogged about HERE and HERE.  I was able to finally conquer the problem I was having with my Free Motion Quilting. 


I thought I had tried everything, but to no avail. The stitches on the back were just not being "locked" in properly, no matter how much or little I played with the tension, the needles, or the way I sat! For some reason, I had been ignoring my thread. It was good quality thread so I had presumed that was not the issue. But guess what? I found out, by trial and error and making dozens of quilt sandwiches, that my particular sewing machine does not like to do FMQ with thread on a cone! I changed to using smaller spools of thread and my issue has been  resolved. I still have lots of practicing to do, am far from perfect, but at least I know how to make my machine behave.


With the IWK charity quilt, I used inspiration from several quilters to plan my FMQ. For the centres, I found a Craftsy class tutorial called The Secrets of Free-Motion Quilting by Christina Cameli. I purchased it when it was on sale-Craftsy always has great sales! I watched several of the lessons and really liked what she calls Basic Echoing Designs. I played around a bit and used a tear drop shape which I echoed to fill in the centres. 


I am also an avid follower of Natalia Bonner of Piece 'n Quilt. Her work is amazing! I purchased her first book awhile back, Beginner's Guide to Free Motion Quiltingand have used it as a resource ever since. I used her Ovals loop pattern in the borders of each block. As you can see, it's far from perfect, but I am happy with it!


I also finished quilting my little whales baby quilt. I wanted to keep the idea of waves for the quilting so used a serpentine stitch on the quilt.


It's a great day for quilting!

19 comments:

  1. I am so glad you figured out the problem with your machine. I love both quilts. The waves on your Whale quilt are perfect. Your echoed teardrops are what Leah Day (where I learned much of my FMQ) calls paisley. I love that pattern and your quilting looks great. I need to check out that Craftsy class and also the book you mentioned. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you in sticking with it - now that you have the thread issue resolved you will be on fire. Leah Day was my mentor for FMQ at the start. The whale quilt is stinking cute!! The serpentine is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great finishes, Lesley! I applaud your FMQ! You selected good designs for the square quilt--the curves are a nice juxtaposition on the angular piecing. And I love the cute whales in the waves! : )
    It is challenging to forge ahead when you are trying to build confidence in your skills and your machine is not cooperating. Glad you discovered the issue. When I was learning to FMQ on my domestic machine and having issues with my stitches on the back, a wise woman told me to try NOT dropping the feed dogs--and that is what made the difference for me. Turns out that not all machines do well with the feed dogs down. You just have to see what your machine prefers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely finishes Lesley, hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As ice finishes, Lesley. It's amazing how particular our machines can be when it comes to threads and needles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love spell check......that would be "nice".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley,I have never had much luck with cones of thread so never buy them. I think they do much better on sergers. Love the serpentine waves on your whale quilt, it's the perfect quilting design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never graduated to using cones tho' I think they are a great idea. Anyway, you are doing wonderfully well with the FMQ and what an achievement that is. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn, I'm not able to send a reply to your comment as it shows you as a no-reply so popping in here to thank you for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  9. Great quilts. I know that I have to constantly play with my threads, bobbins, etc. I have one machine that I just cannot FMQ on no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy you got the problem figured out and I had a machine that hated a particular brand of thread so I know what you went through. You did amazing on your quilting !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely amazing! Practice, practice. Practice! I can't believe that was the problem with your machine. Something so simple! Who'd have thought! Great work, Lesley! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go! Your quilting is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work on both quilt finishes.
    I am so pleased your were able to sort out the problems with the thread. It is interesting to see how sensitive the machines can be.
    I think your FMQ is lovely. I can see some great design ideas there. I look forward to much more in the future with this wonderful start.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful finishes Lesley!! Interesting how our machines can misbehave at times isn't it - glad you sorted that issue out. I enjoy the Craftsy classes too, looks like you are getting good use out of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilting looks awesome! I'm still taking baby steps with FMQ...really small baby steps. Natalia Bonner lives around here and does the quilting for some of the quilts at my favorite quilt store. She does gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your charity quilts are awesome. We had a productive sew in today. And those whales are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful finishes....can you let me know the pattern...as it looks quick and easy and as it might be a good stash buster for all my fat quarters. thanks!! :)V

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!