It finishes at 94" x 94" but the weather has not cooperated to hang it on the clothesline for a picture and our little house is just too little to lay it out on the floor. With the change in seasons, the sun shines in the backyard very late in the afternoon and it becomes more difficult to take a picture showing the true colours.
The quilt is called Star Crossed and you can read about the designer, the pattern and my selection of fabrics HERE. I made it using a structured scrappy lay-out, but it really isn't obvious until you see the full quilt. Once the quilting is done, I'll try for a full layout picture somehow.
The blocks are fairly large at 16" . Each one was a treat to make as I couldn't wait to see what the finished block looked like.
I didn't have a design wall so putting the blocks in a formation required a lot of piles on my dining room table, some time coloring the layout in my planner with pencil crayons, and painter's tape to label my rows.
The quilt will soon head to Sydney for quilting by Ange Ross at Quilting on the Mira. I know she will do her quilting magic...she always does!
Now that my big project is history, I have turned to a few smaller projects, like these Christmas stockings that were mailed out West to my son and his fiance. They received them yesterday so I can now show the pictures. I found a couple of free patterns online for inspiration and adapted as needed to make my versions. I sewed lots of 2.5" squares of Christmas fabric together, machine quilted the fabric in a crosshatch design, and then cut out the stockings. For the cuffs, I used a font I liked, enlarged it, printed it out with sheets of Alex Anderson's printable Select Appli-Stick paper, (which I received free for renewing my membership with The Quilt Show), reversed the names and finished adhering the names by using the blanket stitch on my machine. I'm glad both their names are short!
Before I go, I want to thank Prym Consumer USA. I have used Dritz Printed Treasures Inkjet Printable Fabric to make labels, etc., for years with excellent results.
However, my last package did not work as expected. The paper would not peel off as it should have and I wasn't able to use the sheets. I decided to write a little note off to the company explaining my dilemma and before I knew it, I received a lovely note and a replacement package of their product with "Improved, Easier to Peel Backing". I love a happy ending!
It's a great day for quilting!