Thursday, October 13, 2016

Baskets Galore

Several years ago, I decided to do a basket block exchange with my long-distance blog friend, Sandie, who blogs at Sandra Kaye Designs. You can read and see a few of the blocks HERE. Sandie was the first person to comment on my very first blog post HERE in September of 2011, a little over five years ago.  

Sandie and I quickly decided to do a basket block exchange.  For seven months, we made 10 blocks a month and swapped five of them with each other. At the time, Sandie lived in Arizona, so these little blocks travelled all the way from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, to Arizona. The blocks are pretty tiny, at 4.5" unfinished, and I very quickly realized Sandie was an expert in making these little blocks. Each batch from Sandie was perfect.  I, on the other hand, struggled with seam allowance, cutting off tip after tip. But I persevered, believing that when the quilt was a finish, perhaps the missing tips wouldn't seem as noticeable? Fast forward to last week when I pulled out the 70 little blocks and decided to sew them together into a cuddle quilt just for me.  


It is a small quilt, about 42" x 52",  but I have already tested it out. I am always under a quilt watching TV, no matter what the season, either sitting in my quilting chair or lying on the couch, and this works really well!


Many of my blocks were made of civil war reproduction-style fabrics, while Sandie added most of those wonderful splashes of colour. I ended up using a soft brown for the alternate blocks to give the quilt a bit of a vintage look.


Baskets Galore was fairly quick to put together.  After all, the baskets were made years ago!


I started by joining the baskets with the brown squares, but ended up unsewing a few blocks as my rows, set on the diagonal, were actually made up of odd numbers.


Because I don't have a design wall, and the floor is just so far away, I literally grabbed and sewed, not worrying too much about the colour placement of each little basket.


Again, because of space issues, I had to lay out and sew half of the quilt together at a time! 


Once I had everything together, the quilting seemed to go even faster. I used straight-line machine quilting, marking some lines with my Hera marker, and then I just did it by eye. Not perfect, but either am I!


I love my little quilt, and thank you so much to Sandie for suggesting this so many years ago! 


Another thank you to my Nova Scotian blog friend Sheila who blogs at Sheila's Quilt World. 


This beautiful postcard arrived for my birthday last week. Her work is amazing and I am thrilled to have her fabric art depicting Peggy's Cove. Thank you, Sheila!

It's a great day for quilting!

23 comments:

  1. Oh, what a wonderful little memory basket quilt! Love it set in the warm brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW!!!! I am so in LOVE!!!! It has been so long since I have seen these blocks! Mine are put away in my UFO cave!!! Where all my UFO's go to wait...and wait...and wait!!! LOL!!! Your blocks turned into an absolutely wonderful quilt!!! I think the brown wraps all they colors in warm chocolate!! Yum!! It warms my heart to know that you are using something daily that I had a part in. I will be remembered by someone...yeah!!! (other than my family..hehe) Thanks AGAIN..for swapping with this American gal.. oh so many years ago. Love You my Sweet Friend. I'm off to search my cave... I have baskets to find....lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a delightful cuddle quilt, with a wonderful story behind it! I'll bet it will make you smile whenever you snuggle beneath it.
    Gorgeous postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love baskets and this quilt is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometime being completely random is the best choice. Your baskets and Sandie's look lovely together! So when are you doing another? Just kidding, perfect for Autumn cuddling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is awesome - it looks fantastic! The brown was the perfect choice for the alternate blocks. I've never made baskets but I'm not sure why because I always admire basket quilts. I think you and Sandie will always have great memories with your quilt and someday hers. Didn't realize you were an October baby too! Happy Birthday a little late! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous quilt. Wonderful job♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful - the colours are very warm and snuggly - what a great momento of your friendship! Belated Birthday greetings!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the basket quilt! So sweet! Belated Happy Birthday Leslie. I have to say that's one of the nicest postcards I have ever seen. Beautiful work Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful basket quilt - I am so glad you used up those blocks after all this time as you have made such a lovely piece. Great card from Sheila too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now THAT was an ambitious undertaking! Yet with an outcome of divine satisfaction and meaningfulness. I laughed when you said the floor was too far away! And as I get older, it gets farther away.LoL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your basket quilt is lovely. What a wonderful combination of blocks from the two of you. It will always have a special meaning for you. A perfect cuddle quilt.
    And Happy Birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great project to do with your friend. And it's gorgeous. I like any and all basket patterns. Thanks for telling us the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always loved basket quilts and I just love how you put these adorable blocks together, the soft brown was a perfect choice. Glad you like the postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a happy quilt to mark your quilting/blogging friendship! I do love the bright little splashes of color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's gorgeous, Leslie! I, too am always under a quilt in my chair no matter the season. I'd certainly be very proud to be under this one! What a fun exchange!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy late Birthday! The baskets look great with the brown background. I always have a quilt on the sofa to cuddle under.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are sew lucky to have Sheila! You are so funny....the floor is so far away! Imagine if you were taller? Lesley, it came out absewlutely gorgeous, and you're going to feel warm and fuzzy every time you draw it up over your lap! Not only that, but it's one more UFO checked off your list! Well done! XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to chuckle when you said it's going together quick but the baskets took years to make! So true! It sure is coming together beautifully though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. All those pieces in each block...wow! It turned out so beautiful and it definitely looks like a quilt to cuddle under. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. how amazing that all these pieces come together like a perfect fall project...superb work , never tire of your amazing creations

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful basket quilt. It's lovely and that you've finished it by quilting on your DSM all the better. Congrats on a lovely finish and happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!