Saturday, October 29, 2016

Licorice and Strawberries

One of the recent Connecting Threads catalogues that arrived at my door had a quilt featured that called my name-Licorice and Strawberries.  It will finish at about 53" x 63" becoming a delightful cuddle quilt, picnic quilt, or "just because" quilt. There was a sale on at the time, and with the exchange and shipping, the kit still arrived at a very reasonable price. 



After starting some of the blocks, I can already see that there will be a fair bit of fabric left over, so a few mini-quilts may be on the horizon. The instructions are very easy to follow. You can see the kit HERE and I see there is still 30% off at this time of writing.  



I had a wonderful time last weekend at a quilt retreat hosted by the Baddeck Quilters and held at the Gaelic College in St. Anne's, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.  You can't beat that stone fireplace in MacKenzie Hall on a brisk Fall day!



I attended the retreat with 2 of my quilt friends from town. What a great time we had sewing, eating, and relaxing with about 30 others. The workshop we took was presented by Bill Locke of Montreal who did a terrific job of guiding 14 of us through his paper-pieced pattern called Once Upon a Christmas. 


Of course, I shook mine up a bit by using a delightful polkadot bundle called Gardenvale by Jen Kingwell Designs for Moda.  Who said trees have to be green? 


We're having a rainy day today so I have lots to play with in my sewing room. It's a great day to quilt!

19 comments:

  1. Cute cute tree quilts! Fabulous fireplace!! So glad you had a grand time! I missed the strawberries and licorice in CT, but your is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new kit sounds delicious and looks just as great! Lucky you going on retreat, do you have plans for more trees - yours is a real stand out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the trees and Licorice and Strawberries is looking wonderful. That is a great kit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt, looks fun. I like your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CT can be dangerous to my budget - love the new project. No trees don't have to be green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh, I love the Licorice and Strawberries! It will be darling. I think we share a love of retreats - wouldn't it be fun if we could go together?! Your purple tree is delightful - I love your out-of-the-box thinking. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Licorice and strawberries looks great, a fun little quilt and I love your non green tree 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trees definitely don't have to be green when you have that great collection of dotted fabric colors! I'm smiling that you've taken that colorful route. Can't wait to see all the blocks together. I like that strawberries and licorice pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name Licorice and Strawberries--and the quilt lives up to its name. So sweet (black licorice is a favorite candy of mine)!
    Did you say mini quilts? Can't wait to see them!! *LOL*
    Looks like a wonderful retreat and I love your "rogue" fabric choices for the trees. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great looking quilt. I love all of the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course your tree can be any colour you like. It will stand out from the crowd. Looks like your new kit will be a fun quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like everyone had a fun time! I always love to see how the same pattern, sewn by different ladies, can look so different! Your fabrics remind me of Dr. Seuss. You will certainly enjoy piecing the L and S quilt, all those bright colors!! Very nice, indeed! It's not raining this morning, but still looks gray out there. At least it's not as cold as it could be! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great price on the kit. I like the pattern. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am eating leftover Halloween licorice while reading this! My fave candy. A great quilt! and your retreat looked like such a great time. Your tree is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A purple tree. This is why I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A purple tree. This is why I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that purple Christmas tree! Looks like you had a great time with all those tree makers. Sweet name for a quilt, Licorice and Strawberries...so yummy looking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!