Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Knotty Dotty Pines?

I love to finish quilty projects and I especially loved finishing my Knotty Dotty Pines quilt. Hubby tells me, however, the trees actually look more like firs or spruce, but Knotty Dotty Spruces just didn't do it for me! 


This was the quilt that I worked on at the quilt retreat I told you about last time HERE. All the fabrics are polkadots, including the background and the border. 

I quilted the trees using horizontal lines, added my version of FMQ to replicate wood grain on the tree trunks, and did some large loop de loops in the background to mimic the polka dots.


I think  it looks pretty interesting from the back too!


Not sure where Knotty Dotty Pines will find a home, but I definitely enjoyed playing with these fabrics, almost like opening a new box of crayons! 

Earlier this week, hubby and I traveled to Sydney to the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design. I wanted to drop off a couple of quilts and while there I took a picture of my Plus quilt in the gallery. I love how they chose the glassware in front to coordinate with the colours in the quilt!



Today I will continue working on my Licorice and Strawberries quilt. Why am I getting so hungry? I am ready to join the two halves of the quilt top and then start on the borders.


On November 6, several members of our quilting group, Tea Thyme Quilters, were honored to attend a special Remembrance Service at St.Mark's United Church in Port Hawkesbury where the Quilts of Valour we made in the past year were presented to their new owners.  You can see some of the pictures taken that day at the Quilts of Valour-Canada Facebook page HERE. Just scroll down to see them. 

What an emotional day it was for all. We are so grateful for those men and women who have served our country and feel very privileged to be able to use our quilt-making skills to thank them. The label says it all..."May the hugs stitched into this quilt give you comfort, strength and love." 

Do you remember seeing this quilt before? This is one of the quilts that was presented that day. We all made maple leaf blocks and worked together to choose fabrics and put it all together. 


The quilt was hand-quilted this summer at the Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale and finished by Tea Thyme Quilters this fall. 

In Canada, we celebrate Remembrance Day on November 11, so on that day we will get together with other members of our community to remember and reflect. 


It's a great day for quilting!

12 comments:

  1. Your trees look great, love the contrast of the straight lines and swirls.

    Wish the lighting was better on your plus quilt. Gorgeous colours in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Knotty Dotty Pines is bright and cheery - I love it even if they are spruces! You do such a great job with fabric and color choices. I wonder how we missed the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design - guess we'll have to come back. You and the Tea Thyme Quilters are wonderful to make Quilts of Valour. I'm so glad you were at the presentation and I absolutely love the message you put on the labels. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Your Knotty Dotty pines is great. Licorice and Strawberries is looking great also, and your QOV is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dotty Pines is a great finish - the quilting looks amazing from the back, a reversible quilt? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Knotty Dotty pines is beautiful no matter if it a pine or a spruce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an excellent post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Your knotty dotty pines came out fabulously! Your machine quilting really brought them to life in the most perfect way. I am so proud that you have a quilt at the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design. It's quite a remarkable place and lots of fun to roam, especially at gift giving time. Congratulations! I think it's the prettiest plus quilt I've ever seen. The colors are stunning. And double congratulations for being able to participate in the QOV program. I wish I had had time when I came to the quilt show to put in a few stitches so I could claim participation, too! Lol. What an awesome group the Tea Thyme Quilters are! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the trees and that quilting is really pretty. The glassware with that quilt really is stunning. I love the Maple Leaf quilt - perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knotty Dotty pines is very fun. Who cares if it looks more like some other tree? : )
    The display of your Plus quilt is beautiful!
    Stunning Maple Leaf quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilting on your trees is great. It suits the project. And that Plus quilt is awesome. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet your knotty dotty pines quilt is! The quilting is fun. All your quilts you've shown here look wonderful. Once again the maple leaf quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work on your tree quilt. It is a cheerful quilt full of fun. Great work with the quilting to give it lots of texture.
    Thanks for sharing the photo of your Plus quilt. It does look perfect with the glassware.
    It is lovely work that you do with the QOV. Our Remembrance Day is the same as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your knotty dotty pines is beautiful, great quilting too . The plus quilt looks amazing and so does the quilt of Valor, wonderful work !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!