Sunday, November 13, 2016

Not Too Big to Show

My quilt too big to show (read about it HERE) is back from the quilter, has been bound, and yesterday, had its premier showing on the clothesline. Star Crossed has now joined the "finished" pile.


It was a very windy day here, but I guess its good because you get to see the beautiful quilting that Ange Ross of Quilting on the Mira did for me.


Its funny....when I finish a quilt top, I think the work is done, but I tend to forget that there is still a lot of work afterward to finish it off. Like straightening the edges with my ruler and rotary cutter...


and pressing the binding when attached...



and turning the binding to the back and wonder clipping...


and sewing again. It is a huge quilt for me to play with at 94" x 94", so it was a joy to call it a finish!

Now I'm into the Christmas mode, growing a paper pieced Christmas tree! I bought the pattern at the retreat I attended a couple of weeks ago. Its a great way to use up my greens that seem to be multiplying! 


A huge smile is going out to the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild. I am a long distance member and you may recall I made a couple of quilts for the guild's chosen charity this year, the IWK Children's Hospital located in Halifax, NS. The guild presented 21 quilts to the IWK representative on Thursday night. I borrowed the picture from their web page. Doesn't this picture just make you smile too? Makes my heart soar to be a little part of something this big...


It's a great day for quilting...

18 comments:

  1. Pretty quilt. Wow those are some great donation quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star Crossed is absolutely stunning! Congrats to you and all the other quilters for the wonderful donation quilts! Superb work!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star Crossed is gorgeous and huge for you! Your work is always so precise and beautiful. Now I'm wondering - am I halfway when the quilt top is pieced? You know donation quilts are near and dear to my heart and these are so perfect - children will adore them. I'm now on the hunt for that paper pieced Christmas tree pattern - it is beautiful! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, your newest quilt finish is SO pretty! Quilts are a lot of work with a bounty of love and enjoyment stitched into them. Those donation quilts are more than precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Star Crossed is a beauty, Leslie! Love the soft colours! The donation quilts by MMQG for the IWK are wonderful! Love the blue and green one Linda is holding. Such a great guild project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your Star Crossed finish! I don't make many big quilts lately, but there's something about a big one that inspires amazement, isnt' there? And also love that picture of the IWK quilts - so wonderful to have so many who care so much. I have that tree pattern and planned to make it last year - but it's still in its envelope ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt!! Love seeing them on the line for their photo shoot - a wind is a must for you. Super pic of all those donated quilts which are sure to make for lots of smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an amazing "finish"! I can imagine how happy you were to put that last stitch in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm star struck with your Star Crossed! It is truly dazzling. You and Ange make a good team! The MMQG did a wonderful thing! How you made two, I'll never know. I pieced about 40 blocks, and just kind of lost my momentum. At least they could be used in some of the quilts during the Sew Ins! Kudos to you, dear Lesley, for helping them fulfill their goal and for putting a smile on 2 more young faces! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty quilt - a great finish Lesley. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lesley, I love seeing your work on here, your latest is gorgeous as usual. I just thought I would drop you a quick line to say that things are much better here with hubby. A change in meds seems to be doing the trick. Keep us in your prayers & thoughts. Hope you can make our bus tour this year, well next really. It should be fun if all stays good here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is such a pretty quilt, Lesley--and a BIG one!
    I like that tree pattern.
    What a great collection of quilts for the Children's Hospital! Nice work by the guild, of which you are a long distance member. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt! I'm sure you're excited to have that one finished. Love your paper pieced tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is stunning Lesley. And it's a complete finish. Sure love what you are growing...grin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful qult Lesley - I love it - well done on the finish..... you didn't mention a label as a finishing touch... :-) Very cute tree, perfect project for this time of the year. Well done all you quilters on the donation quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always, Star Crossed is another one of your stunning masterpieces and a huge one at that. Showing all the steps to finishing was great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a pretty quilt! And I know you already finished the little tree and it turned out so cute. I need to make a few new Christmas wallhangings. Mine are getting old. They need to be replaced. Our charity presentation was awesome. Thanks to you for making two gorgeous quilts that will be well loved I know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!