Friday, December 2, 2016

Christmas Quilty Things

I always embrace the Christmas season before the season begins...usually in my sewing room. I finished my " A Little Bit Shorter Tall Tree" a few days ago and have it hanging in my kitchen.


I echo quilted the leaves and base, did some FMQ to add some snowflakes on the white background, and used an all-over loop de loop on the borders. The designer, Cindi Edgerton, suggests trimming the tree so I actually purchased some miniature ornaments but haven't attached them yet. 

I made a few quilty goodies last month and mailed them across the country to DD and DS. They have now arrived so I can share them with you here. I wanted to make some Christmas placemats for them so made some hexagon ones for DD, matching some of the grey/aqua in her kitchen area. 



DS just moved into a new apartment and he seems to love Santa as much as I do, so it had to be Santa placemats!




I also made Christmas placemats for my Mom but forgot to take a picture. Hers were made with Vintage postcards as the centres.

Look at this mug I just picked up today at our local grocery store...is it not adorable? $5...a real Santa bargain!



Once the placemats were finished, I started to piece together a Christmas Tree skirt. 


The pattern is from Pieced Tree Patterns and is called Tree Skirt Star. I adapted the size of the pattern to make it a tad smaller and am almost ready to start quilting it.  Right now it is sitting on my kitchen table waiting for more pins. Below are a few closeups of the fabrics. I picked them up from a few different places. I especially love that black text fabric (Christmas Wishes by Blank Quilting), the red paisley centre (Winter Garden by Color Principal for Henry Glass), and the grey paisley fabric ( Jenelle Kent for Blank Quilting).  Of course, the black on white tree fabric by Camelot Fabrics is also a favorite! 





I guess you know what I'll be doing for the next few days. It's a great day for quilting!



18 comments:

  1. So much Christmas fun here, Lesley! You are generous in your sharing of Christmas joy with your family.
    I hope you will share the tree again, once it is decorated. Very cute. And what a coincidence that I just came across one of Cindi's patterns I want to make, as I was puttering around my sewing room. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Christmas projects. I love that tree wall hanging. Think I'll have to go check out the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your little tree and what fun it will be to decorate it. Cute mug rugs and adorable Santa Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tree is great, and love your tree skirt. Great fabrics, thanks for sharing the manufacture information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always amaze me! I do love your Little Bit Shorter Tall Tree. With the tree skirt, it looks even more 3-D. The placemats for DD and DS are wonderful - I do love those Santas. And your tree skirt is adorable - your work is always so precise. And I really want some of that black script fabric... guess I'll have to go shopping...~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tree too and I always think of all your Santa decorations that you have when I start taking our decorations out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley, I enjoy seeing all you accomplish!! Can you give me a little more info on the "Little Bit Shorter Tall Tree" so I can track down the pattern? Maybe, just maybe I could get that made b4 Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria and thanks for your lovely comments. You are showing as a no-reply blogger so hope you come back to this page to see my reply. I purchased my pattern at a local retreat from Bill Locke Designsfrom Montreal, Canada. But I see the designer has her own web page at wwwdotaveryspecialcollectiondotcom and you can purchase directly from her. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. I found the pattern today at a quilt shop. I don't know why I am showing as a no-reply blogger but will try to track that down and correct. Thx

      Delete
  8. Lovely Christmas tree wall hanging. Have seen that done in all 3 sizes and might have to do one for NEXT year. My plate is too full for this year. Great placemats for your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tall skinny tree is so cute! And the placemats you made are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your short/tall tree looks lovely and is a lot of fun.
    Great idea with all the place mats as gifts.Love the Christmas theme you have going. Good luck with finishing your tree skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the tree. You have so many fun quilting projects going on there for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehehe... I can see Christmas is already at your house... I love the tree and the magnificent star...
    I wish you a very nice and wonderful Christmas...
    Lot of kisses and hugs.
    Estefanía

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog is a must stop for Santa related quilting. You always have the greatest projects! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply splendid! I don't do very much Christmas sewing, then when I see all of your cute work, I'm always sorry! XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I love the mug - Santa is such fun! Great work on the tree hanging and all the place mats are brilliant. Enjoy your quilting - it could well be finished by now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of lovely Christmas quilty goodnes, Lesley :-) I love the tree in your first photo - I'm off to google it now...!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!