Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Stars in a Time Warp and Ouch Pouches

In January 2015, Barbara Brachman introduced a free quiltalong on her blog Civil War Quilts called Stars in a Time Warp. I watched it with interest as it unfolded each week. She used the Sawtooth star pattern in a 6" finished size every week, but chose a different reproduction fabric to use, highlighting the history of the fabrics and showing samples. I put the star quilt on my "to do" list while enjoying her weekly posts as the year unfolded.

A year later in January of 2016, Darlene of A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt shop in Digby, NS, started a Star Block a Week QAL. That was just what I needed to give me the push. I began to make a star a week with Darlene, and used Barbara's Stars in a Time Warp as inspiration for my fabric choices.  Using my stash fabrics, I modeled my stars on Barbara's choices including a varied selection of fabrics such as turkey red on cream, prussian blue, shirting, cheddars, madder style prints, and so on and so on. I didn't always make a star every week, and life certainly got in the way, but this week I pulled out the stars, made a few more using indigos, faded dyes, and toiles, and soon had a total of 36 of the 6" stars. 


With the idea of making a lap quilt, I started looking through my books for ideas for a border. I found the book I had ordered from The Fabric Cupboard last year, Monterrey Medallions by Atkinson Designs, that included a selection of pieced borders.  

 

I really liked the Four-Patch Chain, simple version featured on one of the quilts so made a few blocks using my scraps and tested it out around the star centre. 


I liked the way it looked, so I made the rest of the blocks and finished sewing everything together this morning.


The top measures approximately 55" square, so I should be able to machine quilt it myself. It's always so much fun to finish a top, especially this one as it allowed me to play with so many different fabrics in my stash. The stars are made using reproduction-style fabrics, but the pieced borders were made using a variety of dark, medium, and light fabrics I had on hand.

I also wanted to share with you today a great gift idea. I made  a bunch of "Ouch Pouches" as Christmas gifts. They are little zippered pouches adorned with a red cross and filled with bandaids, etc. Designed by Melissa at Cornbread and Beans, these pouches were fun to make and just as much fun to fill! 



I found lots of small treasures to put in them, including bandaids, packets of Kleenex, Tide pouches, and wet ones.


We are having lots of wintry weather these days so will continue to play in my sewing room. It's a great day for quilting!

27 comments:

  1. I love what you have done with your stars!! That border worked beautifully. I have that booklet, but have never thought to apply the border to a different quilt. Brilliant. : )
    Cute little Ouch Pouches. What a fun gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how you set your stars. Not a fan of borders, but just love this - adds so much charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley - I adore quilts with interesting borders and you've hit this one 'out of the park'! I really need to do better at making fun borders - thanks for the inspiration! And I might just make a whole grundle of those ouch pouches for Christmas gifts next year. If I start now I might have them done in time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only are your stars gorgeous, but that border just sets them off beautifully. What a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn, for the sweet comment! I don't seem to be able to reply to your comment through email, so perhaps you will see this. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Your stars are just stunning with that border. Gorgeous! I love the ouch pouches too - great idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful quilt, Lesley! You picked a perfect border, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your star are gorgeous and that border takes it to yet another level! Fantastic quilt!!! Your Ouch Pouches are a cute and useful idea. I've spent the afternoon sewing - we also are having wintery weather. Of course, it's always a great day for quilting. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley, love the stars and was looking through some past comments from you that I had missed. I noticed my note that I made Nov. 13 re: my hubby, he lost his battle on Dec. 24th. He had 2 bad falls while in the hospital and I think the last one did it. As you can imagine life is very strained these days but I keep trying to go on. I went to sewday Sat. for VQ's and it really was good for me. Time alone is not so great. ttyl Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect border for your stars Lesley!!! Love it!!! And those ouch pouches are too darn cute. Now you've got me all inspired so I'm going to have to make some too :*). I can think of several who could use one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is fantastic! I tend to do simple borders, but you've just inspired me to stretch my imagination a little!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt top is awesome. I love the border you added to the stars. Good luck with quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness your quilt with that border is just fabulous! The ouch pouches are such a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lesley, you continue to blow me away with your 'vision'! How lovely! And those ouch pouches are adorable! You are such an inspiration! Stay warm and safe! XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lesley, your stars are wonderful and your border choice is a fabulous frame for them. I like your border better than the one on the book. Yours blends so nicely with the beautiful stars center. The little ouch pouches are so cute and can be so incredibly handy at the most unexpected time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous the border makes the quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your finishing blocks on the Sawtooth Stars are perfect! I love the little ouch pouches too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great border for your Stars in a Time Warp inspired blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your quilt top - the border is the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, Lesley, adding that border totally makes this quilt amazing! Love the little Ouch pouches, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your quilt top Lesley, a lovely story behind the making of it. Thank you for reminding me about the ouch pouches - I'd seen them ages ago and thought them a good idea - yours look so cute so I must put them back on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love the border you added to your stars , it really makes them pop , gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fabulous finish Lesley. Loved the pieced border and it sets off your stars beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a perfect border for your stars. It is really effective. Worth the effort!
    Great idea for the little pouches. And a terrific gift.
    They also look delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The quilt looks amazing Lesley.
    Those ouch pouches are a great idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh your quilt is gorgeous. Love the ouch pouch idea. Would be great for boy scouts too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your stars! Great border treatment!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!