Thursday, March 23, 2017

Wintry Quilts

With a blizzard howling outside, it seems only appropriate to post the pics I took yesterday before the blizzard! We have been having some late winter snowy weather that has resulted in a blanket of snow on the deck. When the sun came out yesterday, I opened the patio doors and laid out a few baby quilts I finished recently.  


I had a fair bit of flannel left over from other projects, so I cut a bunch of 7" squares and put them in a format that seemed to work for this little quilt. It finishes at about 34" x 45" with a flannel back and serpentine machine quilting.

This next quilt was inspired by a quilt kit I saw in the MSQC catalogue. The blocks are a version of a log cabin, though the fabrics I used are pretty similar so that you can't see much variation in the picture. Again, I used a serpentine stitch and flannel on the back.


Here is a close up so you can see some of the cuddly baby fabrics. This quilt finishes at 34" x 45".


The next quilt is still in the making. A wonderful quilting friend gave me a jelly roll of Riley Blake's Cotton Medium Dots so I started to make bow tie blocks with them. 


I had lots of background polka dot fabrics so played around using a white and black minidot background for the brightly coloured bowties, and a black and white minidot for the white polka dot ties, though I don't think you can see the background fabrics too well in my pictures.  I still have some borders to add, the white and black minidot fabric, but that will wait for another day. 

One more wintry picture just because...


The blizzard seems to be dying down and the sun is struggling to come out. Sure hope Spring is on the way. Thanks so much for coming by. It's a great day for quilting!

18 comments:

  1. Really cute quilts - I love the dotty bowties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. You know, I don't very often make baby quilts because I don't know what the best size it, the most versatile and usable...is it too small? too big?? So then I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the babies in your neck of the woods could use warm things in which to cuddle!!
    It looks like you have used your quilting time well. I like them all, and I think the dotty one will really catch a baby's eye. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts. Love the bow ties quilt. I have a jelly roll of polka dots so I might borrow your idea. I do not miss those blizzards one little bit. Be safe and keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to use up bits of fabric. The polka dots look like fun. Hopefully, the snow will soon end for good this season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The baby quilts look so soft and snuggly. The bow ties are adorable - love that use for polka dots. I hope your blizzard is over. I know I am ready for spring weather even though the snow makes it easier to stay inside and quilt. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't this lingering wintry weather crrrrazy? Let's hope it's over soon! Love all your baby quilts! There'll be some very lucky babies somewhere....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you're getting snow, but I am happy that we're not getting it. LOL Love that wavy stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute quilts. Love the polka dot bow ties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet quilts with lovely quilting. I just love the polka dot fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet little baby quilts and the bow ties are just so fun . Let's hope that is the last storm for this season .

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're having a wintry mix over the next few days, but temps are improving. I love using the serpentine stitch on baby quilts - lovely texture and cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're starting to feel very autumn-like so sure hope spring is on its way for you! Lovely quilts Lesley - I always love seeing them on the snow, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brrr... It does look cold. The finished quilts are delightful and well done using left over fabrics. The quilting suits them.
    Love the brightness of the bow tie top. Great design to use for these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The flannel quilts look warm and snugly! The polka dot bow ties are perfect to work with on a snowy day. By now, it's probably finished, and you've moved on to another of your beautiful creations. Heard the temps dropped way down last night. I'm heading home....time for Mother Nature to crank up the heat! XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your quilts but that last one was sooooooooooooo cute....great way to spend a wintry day...it is storming outside right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much snow, but those cute, cute quilts look so warm and snuggly. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's hot here in Texas, but we did two inches of rain. Your quilts are so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!