Saturday, April 22, 2017

Quilted Village is a Finish

Can I say how excited I am? How patience is a virtue? And how good things come to those who wait, or at least, quilt? Yes, Quilted Village is a finish!


Janet Miller's design was not an easy task, but I am so glad I persevered, and many years later, can finally say "Quilted Village is a finish!" It finishes at about 60" square and was quilted in an all-over design by Ange at Quilting on the Mira. 


The day was unusually bright when I took the quilt outside for pictures, so just imagine the quilt with much stronger colours. Quilted Village had a quick swing on the deck glider...



and then posed for some quilting closeups!





After this finish, it was on to something much easier and much quicker to finish. I had picked up a panel awhile back that was supposed to be sewn into a fabric book, but decided instead to pair it with my bright polka dots and turn it into a baby quilt. What a fun play mat this could be!



I kept the quilting to a minimum, using a grid pattern and a straight stitch.


I had a little flannel waiting to uses as backing for the perfect quilt so the end result is a cozy little quilt that finishes at about 35" x 40".


What's next? I am flipping through books and surfing the net to find ways to use these bright and bold fabrics I picked up on my latest trip to the West. A scrap quilter like me sure loves bundles of fat eighths, especially with such a variety of colours and fabric lines. Be still my heart! 



It's a great day for quilting!

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Wedding Quilt Gifted

This winter I decided to make " the wedding quilt"  for my son and his fiance who are getting married this summer.  I chose blacks, greys, and whites in a variety of fabrics and put together a Carpenter's Star quilt.  As you may know, I love scrappy quilts, and this pattern allowed me to use all kinds of fat quarters I had been saving. I chose the pattern designed by Calico Carriage Quilt Designs found on Craftsy HERE. I made a few changes to the border and the quilt finishes at 94' x 94". When the top was made, I took a picture of it on our bed.



It was a pretty easy quilt  to make as long as I followed the colour layout. The hardest thing was to find a floor large enough to lay out the blocks, and the fear was that I would sew them together in the wrong order, but it all worked out! I sent the top off to Ange at Quilting on the Mira and she worked her magic.

A few closeups of the quilting...





It was a thrill to be able to gift this quilt and take a few pictures of them wrapped in their "blanket of love". 



The quilt is now in its new home, giving even more hugs and love!



I recently returned from a whirlwind week sharing time with my daughter and her family and my son and his fiance. It was a week of non-stop family and fun and gave me lots of opportunities for quilt giving and hugs with Master P!



Now that I'm back, I have to be content with FaceTime and lots of time in my sewing room! It's a great day for quilting!