Thursday, August 31, 2017

A Wedding and Some Quilts

What a great August we had! A wedding for DS and his lovely bride, lots of time with the entire family from far and near, and still a little time in my sewing room. 

DS was married almost two weeks ago in a lovely church on the Mirimichi River in NB. One of the highlights was when they walked down the aisle, husband and wife, to the tune of Mairi's Wedding, a song made famous here in Cape Breton by The Rankins. Everyone joined in and clapped in unison as they made their way to the back of the church. What a moment! I tried to link the Youtube video of the song but had no luck. However, you can probably just go to the link HERE to listen to the lyrics. 

Although much needed rain did fall that day, inside the reception hall there was an abundance of sunny smiles...and then the party started, with everyone dancing the night away. 



We spent the week before the wedding in Murray Corner, NB, at my sister's cottage along the Northumberland Strait. Lots of morning coffee on the deck, playing on the sandbars with our precious GS, and having lots of family time.  Of course, I awoke before everyone else to see the sunrise. If you look a little closer, you can see the causeway to PEI on the right. 



Having a wedding week in NB also gave me the chance to bring my Stargazer quilt to its new owner, one of my sisters. Love seeing it on her bed...





In August, our local quilters hosted our 12th annual Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale, a week filled with camaraderie, quilts and dozens of smaller hand-crafted items. I am the Facebook writer for the quilt show so if you click on the link HERE you can see lots of pictures I took of the quilts and more! Here is a little teaser of what folks saw when they walked into the historic St. David's Church in Port Hastings, NS.



Almost every morning this summer, I walked four laps of the Port Hawkesbury Waterfront which translates into about a 45 minute walk. Woodworker Hubby does a fair bit of golfing, except on the weekends, so he would also join me in some evening and weekend walks.  Every walk would reveal new sights...the Tall Ships that visited in July, the boats owned by friends and moored at the Marina for the season, and visitors' boats coming and going all day long. I had started making a sailboat quilt, Smooth Sailing by Amber Johnson, and knew, in addition to taking a clothesline picture, I would have to take a few pics on the waterfront too! I decided to do wavy lines for the quilting to give the illusion of movement on the waves.



And now to the waterfront...




And just a couple more...




So you can probably tell, I had a wonderful summer. With the good weather predicted to continue, I hope to do many more walks and still spend lots of time in my sewing room in preparation for our appearance at the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival being held in Amherst, NS, from October 10-14, 2017. As part of the Festival, our foursome, the Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet, (Linda at Scrapmaster, Sheila at Sheila's Quilt World, Karen at KaHolly, and myself) will be hosting our own quilt show and sale on Friday, October 13 from 10-5, and on Saturday, October 14 from 10-3 at the Amherst Community Curling Club. Read more about the festival by visiting their Facebook page HERE

Before I go, one more little picture of the wedding...all in the family! 



It's a great day for quilting!

18 comments:

  1. It looks like a delightful summer - beautiful weeding and lovely quilts. How much better does it get???

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a grand event for your family!
    Your sunrise photo had me oohing and aahing--so pretty.
    That has got to be one of the cutest sailboat quilts I have seen. Love the pieced sails and the staggered placement of the boats. Your wavy line quilting finishes it off perfectly. And you had a great photo shoot by the water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A summer to remember for sure, Lesley. Congratulations to your family. I love seeing your quilts. They always look amazing. Those sailboats sure are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely wedding pics. I love the Stargazer quilt - it looks right at home on that bed and your sail boats are lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a delightful read this morning with my first cuppa! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time with your family and at the wedding. And that photo shoot on the waterfront is so perfect for that quilt! It's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I'd say you had a perfect summer! Family time, a special wedding celebration, quilts, and lots of time by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a wonderful summer filled with love, and family, with a wee bit of quilting thrown in. Who could want for more? Love the sailboat quilt it turned out gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful summer indeed. I am putting your show on my list for next summer for sure! Thanks for sharing the sweet wedding party photo. Everyone looks happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful wedding and photos! It sounds like a fantastic time. My mom said a little rain on your wedding day is good luck - she told me that on the morning of my wedding day as it was raining. She may have know something as we have enjoyed many good things in our marriage.! Stargazer looks perfect on your sisters' bed. I love your sailboats quilt - it is still on my list... Your summer sounds like it was wonderful - wish I was closer - I'd love to walk the waterfront with you. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. August sure turned out to be perfect month for you , the wedding is delightful , the bride and groom look quite happy and I love the family photo . Both quilts are gorgeous I bet your sister was happy with her star quilt😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful month! Congratulations to the bride and groom. Lovely photos from the wedding. So pleased that all went well and that you had a lovely time. It looks like it was also a great way to catch up with other family members, too. The views look stunning especially the sunrise.
    How did you manage to fit in some stitching as well? That is a lovely finish on the sailboat quilt and the pics by the water are wonderful.
    It sounds like you have been enjoying your walks as well. Hope the weather is kind so you can continue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your photos of the beautiful wedding, waterfront and the beautiful quilt. My August finished with myself and a couple of friends meeting for tea with Scrapmaster (Linda). Highlight of my week. Was a great time with lots of laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely post Lesley - wonderful to see your son's wedding photos - great to hear it went so well. Your quilts are gorgeous too - looking perfect on your sister's bed and also just right down at the sea side. It sure does sound like a fabulous August!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a happy family and such an adorable quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many congratulations to the Happy Couple. Loved the quilts. Hugs, Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the quilt, always love quilts when they are shown on the bed...looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to those two cuties! It looks like a beautiful wedding party. The sailboat quilt and the one on the bed are really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maybe the wedding was held on a day like the day we were in Halifax (just this past Thur.) as we had a LOT of wind and rain. Took excursion out to Peggy's Cove but it was AWFUL out there (so disappointed). Looks like a lovely time, glad to see your star gazer and the other beauties!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!