Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Modern and Traditional

Hello from my sewing room! I'm still having lots of fun with my UFOs. Back in 2014, I made a few nested churn dash quilt blocks designed by Australian quilt blogger, Jane, of Quilt Jane.  Jane hosted a QAL at that time and I had great plans of making a complete quilt. However, I ended up just making two blocks at the time. I finished one block as a table topper, which you can read about HERE. I pulled out the other block from the back of my closet recently and decided to enlarge it a bit to make a baby quilt or a play mat. 


The quilt finishes at about 36" square so didn't take too long to finish. It was a great way to use up some strips I had left over in my favorite greens and turquoises!


I had a piece of multi-coloured batik I was saving for a rainy day so I used that for the backing and used an edge to edge loop de loop design for the quilting pattern. 


Then, to go back to my traditional roots, I spent a few sessions in my sewing room piecing together a mini-quilt using left over 4-patches in a square. 


I think I love the ABC fabric on the back as much as I love the 17" topper from the front!


After this, I jumped right back into modern day with my rainbow blocks! I made 80 blocks using the string-piecing method on a foundation of white tone-on-tone fabrics.  The free tutorial can be found HERE.



The finished twin-sized quilt will be donated to the Ronald McDonald House in Halifax as part of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild charity quilt initiative. I am waiting for the batting to arrive and then will tackle the quilting, keeping it fairly simple so it will quilt up quickly and won't be too demanding for me and my domestic machine! 

What am I working on today? Sewing together some of the blocks into rows for my 150 Canadian Women quilt. We are definitely getting to the home stretch. Designer Kat Tucker has given us 135 6.5" blocks so far...only 15 more to go! 


I have used a free photo editing program for years to resize my photos before I put them in my blog, which allows the page to download quickly. Unfortunately, the program is now starting to charge after a free trial. Does anyone have any suggestions for another free editing program?

Just a reminder about the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival coming up in Amherst, NS, from October 10-14. Yours truly and her three fellow members of the Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet, Karen of KaHolly,  Sheila of Sheila's Quilt World, and Linda of Scrapmaster, will be attending the festival and hosting our very own quilt show and sale at the Amherst Curling Club on Friday, Oct. 13 from 10-5, and on Saturday, October 14 from 10-3. Hope to see you there!

It's a great day for quilting!




13 comments:

  1. Hi Lesley, beautiful quilts! Your rainbow quilt is spectacular. About the photo editing--just something that I've observed is that Blogger will size them for you after you upload the full size. Yes, it isn't as fast to upload, but the advantage is that a reader can click on the picture to see the full size that has been uploaded. This is great for those of us who want to examine your quilt more closely. Trick is that after you upload the full size and Blogger places them in a smaller size in your blog is that to be able to retain the click-to-enlarge feature, you can't move them around. If you move them around, the click-to-enlarge won't work any more. You can go to my husband's clock site at claytonboyer(dot)blogspot to see what I mean--click on a picture and it will enlarge. Another thing you might not know if you don't use a reader like Feedly to read blogs is that your pictures appear a bit blurry in a reader because you've made them smaller. Feedly blows up your smaller picture into their reader format large picture, and since your pictures start out small, when they are blown up, they're blurry in the larger state in a reader. Unless you definitely have to, it's best to upload the full size picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are all gorgeous, as usual! Of course I love the bright rainbow one best but the others are a close second. Don't you just love when you find the perfect spot for a piece of fabric that you've been saving?! Your 150 Canadian Women quilt is going to be striking. I can't wait to see it finished. Sorry I can't help with your photo editing - I use PhotoShop which we own. It's so sad that less and less is free on the Internet. Have a wonderful time at the NS Fibre Arts Festival. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beauties...love the rainbow one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness but you've kept busy! Rainy days are best spent sewing! And look at the results! Wow! Good luck quilting your gorgeous rainbow quilt. I'm so amazed that you got all 80 blocks completed and are ready to quilt it. That's a lot of blocks to make! I can't seem to stick to a project that long :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always! I especially like the rainbow string quilt. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have been busy and what fun projects...who ever gets that one quilt you are donating will be so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow - beautiful work Lesley. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of lovely work , love the churn dash quilt and the mini is adorable. Won't be long now before we head to Amherst. Oh use Picasa to upload photos , it works fairly well and is free .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Lesley - and such a variety of projects! I love how you finished off the churn dash - very clever, it looks just right :-) And very cute mini quilt too. I'm off to look at the tutorial for the string blocks you used in your rainbow quilt; very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your string quilt. What size was your center white strip that you used in these blocks and the finished size of your block. I make a lot of these but this one just sings to me.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love quilts and yours look amazing...love, love the rainbow looking one, all are so lovely and have such a happy feel.
    tfs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the churn dash in a churn dash in a churn dash. Great way to upsize a block. And your charity quilt is amazing. I love how you did a different colour for each row.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You stay busy! Love the string quilt and it hits home as our class fixes dinner for the Ronald McDonald house here once a month. They always seem to love our food (we put a lot of time and effort into it) and we get such a blessing from it! Wanted you to know my quilt will be picked up tomorrow from the longarm quilter! YAY!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!