Monday, October 9, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving, at Least in Canada!

What a glorious weekend it has been! The weather is just like summer. I walked this morning in shorts and a t-shirt and it doesn't seem right to have a turkey in the oven. It is so warm, I may have to put on the air conditioning in a bit!

Pulled out a few Fall quilts to get us in the mood. My lemons that became pumpkins is still one of my favorite little quilts. The pattern is Freshly Squeezed by Gigi's Thimble that you can find HERE. Changing lemons to pumpkins works for me! 



My sewing room has been in busy mode and I managed to finish two important projects.  I finished my string pieced rainbow quilt that is being donated to the Halifax Ronald McDonald House as an initiative of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild.



The 80 blocks were made using 9" foundation blocks of white tone on tones. I used some pretty colours from my stash and put them in kind of an order. I like the result and I hope the recipient will like it too!  


Because the quilt is a little heavier with the cotton foundation, I used a bamboo batting that is supposed to be soft and drape well.  It seemed to work for my edge to edge fairly large meandering free motion quilting! 



This was the largest quilt I had quilted on my Pfaff Quilt Expression 3.5 so I was a little buried in the fabric! I chose to do essentially one block at a time, starting in the centre of the quilt and working out, tying off the ends in each block by stitching small stitches at the start and end. The quilt finishes at about 66" x 84". 



My second big finish was my round robin quilt made by myself and three of my quilt blogging friends. We call ourselves the Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet and you can read about the quilt and the quartet HERE. We are having our very own quilt show and sale this coming weekend as participants in the Nova Scotia Fibrearts Festival. Our show is being held at the Amherst Curling Club on Friday, October 13 from 10-5, and on Saturday, October 14 from 10-3. You can check out the brochure HERE

Anyway, back to my round robin quilt. I managed to get it quilted and bound so now it's ready for its trip to Amherst to meet up with its buddy quilts! I have several pictures of it in progress, being bound, and then a few from the clothesline and deck.











I adore my little quilt and thank my quilting buddies for their special treatment of my little quilt with their exceptional borders around my centre block. The first border of spools and checkerboard was added by Karen of KaHolly. the ribbon border was added by Linda of Scrapmaster, and the final border, complete with applique, embroidery and my favorite quilting expressions, was made by Sheila of Sheila's Quilt World. Thank you all...you rock! 

It's a great day for quilting and enjoying Thanksgiving! 






8 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. Your quilts are beautiful! I love that rainbow quilt - some one is going to love it! I'm glad you were able to quilt it. The round robin quilt is spectacular! Love the appliqués! Of course the lemons turned pumpkins is perfect for your Thanksgiving. Enjoy! We are off to a grandson's hockey game. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! It really was an unbelievably gorgeous day! I love your pumpkins! I am looking very much forward to our Amherst adventure and oogling over our Round Robin quilts together. This is a great post, Lesley. And a great string quilt for MMQG! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOO many pretties!! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Lesley! It’s always a little different to have the holidays without some standard chilly weather. Love your lemony pumpkins quilt! Aren’t Fall colors the best ever. Your charity string quilt is so cute. And the round robin quilt is a delight! Wonderful rows added by your quilting friends. You certainly have been a busy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving. The charity quilt is fabulous, I like how you quilted it. Your round robin quilt is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pumpkins! Two great finishes too. Hope the exhibition goes well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pumpkin quilt. I love the rainbow quilt. I love, love, love the RR quilt. Need I say more? Have fun with the quartet this weekend. I wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I am a few days late but Happy Thanksgiving!! Love the quilts especially the last one, love the colours. Glad the weather is being kind and although it is cooler here it is not as bad as October could be for which I am Thankful for. Hugs, Susie x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!