I was familiar with paper piecing, but my method uses much more fabric than anyone else's, so I never seemed to have enough fabric to complete each block. Right from the get-go, I started substituting some of their fabrics with mine.
The pattern called for ribbon embroidery and lots of birds, but I passed on those and also eliminated the flag pole. For some reason, my green "Towne Centre" was a tad smaller than it was supposed to be, so I added another border and then everything fit perfectly.
The quilt top is about 60" x 60" so I should be able to quilt it myself, maybe doing an edge to edge cross-hatch design. But that is for another day...
Today I am working on another UFO taken from my quilting closet. I had made Kathy Schmitz' A Cottage Year a few years back. You may recall seeing it on a previous blog post. You can read about it HERE.
About a year ago, I started to embroider another set of cottages. Embroidery projects are handy to have as I sit in my quilting chair and watch my favorite TV shows. If I take it easy, and don't do too much at any one time, my wrist/arm issues don't flare up. Long story short, I have had the 12 blocks sitting in my closet for awhile. When I finished Quilted Village, I decided to work on A Cottage Year. I am now building log cabin blocks around each embroidered cottage. The quilt will be a little different that the original pattern but I think it will work.
I always love to do scrappy, so I am using a variety of creams and reds/rusts that I have in my stash for the logs.
It's a great day for quilting!